Bellevue Animal Hospital, PC, is excited to be able to add veterinary acupuncture to our wide variety of services for your pets! Please contact our office if you are interested in scheduling a consultation to see if acupuncture might be right for your furry or feathered family member. Kathryn Maltry, DVM, cVMA is ready to help!
Acupuncture is very safe, can be used to help treat a variety of conditions, and has minimal side effects. It can also be combined with most other medical treatments – including pain medications, surgery, chemotherapy, and laser therapy – in order to provide the patient with the best possible results.
What can acupuncture do for my pet?
Acupuncture can be used to help provide your pet with relief from pain, but it has many other uses as well! Acupuncture can be used for:
- Treating musculoskeletal conditions such as osteoarthritis, lameness, back and neck pain, IVDD (intervertebral disk disease,) and cruciate ligament injury.
- An aid in relief from chronic disease states such as chronic kidney disease or inflammatory bowel disease.
- Treating neurological conditions such as seizures and myelopathies. [Myelopathies are disorders related to compression of the spinal cord that may result from trauma, congenital stenosis (narrowing of the spaces within the spine,) degenerative disease or disc herniation.]
- Skin problems such as lick granulomas and wounds.
- Side effects of cancer treatments (pain, nausea, or immune system suppression.)
- Paraneoplastic syndromes (disorders that occur alongside a cancer as a result of the activation of the immune system.)
Why should I consider acupuncture for my pet?
Acupuncture can be used for just about any type of pet: cats, dogs, rabbits, birds, guinea pigs, and more!
- It can provide your pet with better pain control than might be achieved by just using medications or other treatments.
- It can decrease the time required for wound or injury healing.
- It may reduce the need for medications in patients with chronic conditions.
- While it is not necessarily a replacement for more conventional therapies, nor is it a cure for cancer or organ failure, it can be used safely along with other therapies.
Your pet’s treatment will be based in part on the animal’s acceptance, as well as your own concerns and goals (for example, “is my pet comfortable with the treatments?” or “will acupuncture eliminate the need to give my cat a pill 3 times a day?”)
Please give us a call at 402-291-1255 or email us at email@example.com if you have any questions!